b Self-Helpless: True Tales of a Working Girl: Priceless

12/08/2005

 

Priceless

Southworth resume bond paper... $22.99 a box

Brand new suit from Ann Taylor... $249.00

Keeping it cool while the EVP of your current company catches you on an interview at the same office where he's scheduled a meeting with clients...

PRICELESS!!!
____________________________

Yes folks, that actually happened to me.

For those of you that have been reading my stories, please know that I am doing everything in my power to change my situation. My blog is not intended to be a forum of daily negativity. This is my opportunity to share my experiences and perhaps share the things that work and the things that don’t (which in my unfortunate situation outweigh the “things that work”).

Getting back to my “Priceless” predicament…

This actually happened to me over the summer. Not only did I run into the EVP of my company, but also the SVP and a few other individuals. Incidentally, the SVP knew of my circumstance and is one of my current job references.

So what a hoot – I ran into folks from my company and on probably the hottest day of the summer. What made it even more fun was that I waited in the reception area with ALL of them until we got called into our respective meetings. That was delightful.

When my interviewer came out to greet me (thankfully it was after the others had gone into their meeting), he commented on the weather. “Wow, it’s a real scorcher out there isn’t it? I’ll bet you were really sweating it out on your way over.”

“Well Mr. Interviewer, funny you should mention that. I would have to say it was more of a scorcher in your reception area since I ran into half a dozen people from my office there.”

He apologized, laughed and then turned me down for the job. Life can be so cruel. But no – to my knowledge these individuals did not share my faux pas with the loony upper-management powers-that-be in my department.

It’s a funny story though – and completely true. Trust me when I say that material this good just could not be made up. This is another reason I started this blog. I knew people would be shocked and entertained at the same time. Who knows, maybe I have some wisdom from all this that I can impart to others along my journey.

Either way, please keep me company. There’s so much more where this came from! I must share it.

Ciao.

Digg!
Comments: Post a Comment



< Home>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?