b Self-Helpless: True Tales of a Working Girl: It's NOT my call!!!

11/29/2005

 

It's NOT my call!!!

Two weeks before the Thanksgiving holiday I sat in my manager’s office to “touch base” on current issues.

Issue #1: Vacation Time

Since the beginning of this year, I scheduled myself to take the two days off before Thanksgiving. That meant I was out Tuesday and Wednesday, but had to come in on Monday. This was okay with me – after all, I chose those days.

Now that the year is winding down, my manager tells me that I have one more vacation day to schedule. She needed to know when I wanted to take the day. Originally I asked, “Can I take the Monday before Thanksgiving off?”

We looked at the schedule of deadlines and she said, “If you want to do that, that’s ok, but you have a new employee starting work on the following Monday and you have a quarterly report due the next day on that Tuesday.”

Hmmm. “Ok, how about if I take the following Friday instead?”

She shook her head, “You have 2 reports due and emails to go with them. That’s not a good idea.” The emails she referred to are individual notes to every member of the sales department – which numbers upwards of 75 people. This is a monthly project that takes the better part of a day to complete. Yeah.

“Well how about ANY Monday or Friday between now and the end of the year?”

To that she replied that I had something due on each of those days – or that something “could” happen on one of those days. “Could” happen? Well shoot, the sky could come crashing down couldn’t it???

However, at the same time she says to me, “It’s up to you. This is your call.”

Issue #2: My boss is an IDIOT

Hold up a minute: If she’s telling me that none of the days that I’m requesting are okay to take off, then this isn’t my call… is it?

Okay. So then I told her that if at all possible I’d like a Monday or a Friday off. Who wouldn’t want a long weekend, right?

Apparently that wasn’t the right thing to say either. “Well,” she started, “I’d like to have a long weekend too Pied Piper, but I realized that I had responsibilities to take care of so it forced me to take Tuesdays and Wednesdays instead.”

Aside from the fact that I don’t care, she has FOUR weeks’ vacation time each year to schedule. I don’t deserve the grief over her inability to effectively plan her days off during the course of a year. After all, I only had ONE more vacation day to schedule out of the three weeks that I receive annually.

So I thought about it, looked at the schedule of deadlines and decided to suck it up. “Ok,” I said, “why don’t YOU tell me which Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday is okay for me to take off.”

She scanned through the schedule and shot down every last day between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve. Of course she did. But then she follows that up with, “But it’s up to you… it’s your call.”

So then I go back to the Monday before Thanksgiving. When I went back to this date, it went right back to the beginning of the conversation.

Do you see where this is going now? Good. Then please fill me in. I must have lost my roadmap.

Digg!
Comments:
Pied Piper: How about you tell her "I know something very well "COULD" happen on those days!"
ie.
"I COULD come in and choke you with a carrot"
"I COULD accidentally beat the living crap out of you"
"Oh, I'm sorry, did you need those files from 1985 that I just got your blood all over?"
"Better re-file those under "BB" for "Boss' Blood""
"And make sure these two bloody hours that I just wasted out of my day to kick your ass is logged in your time sheet as "incapacitated" and take it out of your personal time, biatch"
 
Post a Comment



< Home>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?