b Self-Helpless: True Tales of a Working Girl: THE GREATEST RESIGNATION LETTER EVER

2/22/2006

 

THE GREATEST RESIGNATION LETTER EVER

The following resignation letter is REAL. I've only altered it so company/department/industry names have been changed.

This letter is from someone I know. As a matter of fact, it's someone that I used to work with at the company referred to in the letter. Even better than that -- this letter was written to Inhuman Resources and the manager in question is none other than Miss Manager. That's right, it's the SAME bat-$%#@-crazy-manager that I reported to back in the day. Best of all, this individual was my predecessor in this role.

So, while my posts over the last 2 days suggest doing things "the right way", I ponder how I will compose my own resignation letter when it's time. Will I go the "safe" route and say "I quit"? Or will I (and should I) explain - in a perfectly professional manner - the real reasons that precipitated my departure?

Anyway, enough of that... on with the letter. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. The author is my hero, the wind beneath my wings.

To Whom it may concern:

Let this serve as my official letter of resignation from Company X as of October 4, 2004. It actually makes me sad to have to leave such a wonderful organization as Company X. I joined this company with the hope, anticipation and excitement of learning a great deal from such an industry leader, when instead my time here in Department X has been anything BUT rewarding. When I arrived here my immediate boss was on a leave of absence with no indication of where she was or when she would return. I felt it left me with no guidance as a new manager and made it difficult to run a team of three analysts. I credit my analysts for stepping up and teaching me all the day-to-day responsibilities of the team.

Having seven years in this industry, I have never seen such a lack of communication between the upper management and their subordinates. I feel that Miss Manager is never clear cut with her answers and is often vague about many situations. This department often leaves their employees in the dark, which causes a very negative & stressful atmosphere about what will occur next. This is not an environment which allows you to grow and expand professionally, therefore a place I do NOT want to be a part of.

I have learned over the years that a good manager must build solid relationships with their employees in order to gain respect and foster positive working conditions. I consider myself an extremely diligent & hard worker that always gives 110 percent, however when there is no respect present, I am unmotivated and unwilling to go that extra mile.

Working under Miss Manager did not allow me room for autonomy as a manager, due to her MICROSCOPIC management skills. In my time here at Company X, I felt that I haven't learned anything more than I already knew. Instead, I felt like an English teacher correcting emails and a babysitter, rather than an industry professional.

Therefore, due to the poor management skills of my supervisor Miss Manager and for the reasons mentioned above, I've chosen to terminate my employment with Company X.

Sincerely,
I.M. Happytobegone


Copyright 2006 Pied Piper Consulting

Digg!
Comments:
OMG LMAO!
 
Post a Comment



< Home>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?