b Self-Helpless: True Tales of a Working Girl: Will You Please Keep It Down?

2/01/2006

 

Will You Please Keep It Down?

Tell me something: Why is it ok for the “upper echelon” of my department to have an ongoing “coffee break” that’s disruptive to others, yet the rest of us schmoes get dirty looks when we stop to say “Good Morning” to a colleague?

It’s irritating, it’s rude, it’s obnoxious. Is it really that hard to keep your voice down when you’re socializing – in YOUR office??? Why should I have to not only listen to what’s going on, but lose my concentration because they’re shrieking with laughter? No joke… they sound like a bunch of banshees.

I just want to shout at them: "SHUT THE HELL UP OR SHUT YOUR DOOR. YOU SOUND LIKE MONKEYS ON CRACK. THE REST OF US ARE ACTUALLY TRYING TO GET WORK DONE!!!"

You know, I don’t think I’d even mind it so much if they actually fostered a friendly and warm environment. But they don’t. They don’t encourage any socialization amongst the workers. You begin to feel guilty for having social conversations and start to look over your shoulder at every turn.

Why is it this way? Why don’t employers realize that happy employees work harder? They’re more willing to go the extra mile. That, in turn, equals a LARGER bottom-line for the company. This isn’t me just blowing steam. There are studies that prove this – companies could be earning HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS MORE by improving employee morale.

I don’t get it.

Digg!
Comments: Post a Comment



< Home>

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?